Sunday, January 18, 2015

A few Random Thoughts and Back to Being "Empty Nesters"

Sunday January 18, 2015.  Just thought I'd jot down a few random thoughts about things.  We just took our younger daughter back to college today, which means both kids are back at school and we are back to being empty-nesters.  It's not really a bad thing, but being that we get along with our kids so well, we actually miss having them around - so I'm a little bit sad at quietness of the house.   Hopefully I'll snap out of it once Downton Abbey comes on.

So I guess that since the kids are back in school, that means the holidays are officially over, so I guess I'll need to take the Santa Claus off the front porch.  Speaking of the Christmas break, it was a pretty good one - although we didn't get to travel and spend it with relatives (gotta change that for next year) we did get to spend some fun times with the kids!

January has been off to a busy start, I can't believe it's only the 18th, because it feels like it should already be February judging by how much we've done in the first 18 days of 2015!

Also from the random category, I'm glad that we actually saw some of the movies that are nominated for 'best picture' by the Oscar folks.  Most notably, we managed to see 'Boyhood', 'Birdman', and Grand 'Budapest Hotel', all three of which were really great films - if you didn't get to see them, they are worth the time!

Today we got to see the teams for the Superbowl!  New England and Seattle - I really wish I could say I cared about the match-up, but there's a good I'll be out on the golf course instead of watching the 'big game'.  Now on the other hand, I would have watched if Green Bay had made it!

Speaking of 'making it', did those two runaway teens really think they could make it anywhere when law enforcement all around the entire country were looking for them?

I'm also kind of glad I'm not back on the east coast right now, because there part of New Jersey where my family members live is covered in ice, and the 50 car pile-up today was pretty close to my brother's house, so I guess once again, there is something to say for living in San Diego.

Speaking of San Diego - I have the opportunity to work on a fun new project and I look forward to writing about it in the weeks ahead!

So that's about it for the random thoughts for now.  Oh, one last thing.  Here is a link to someone who wrote quite nicely what it's like to be an empty-nester, maybe it'll give you a little glimpse into how I feel sometimes.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shelley-emling/empty-nest-syndrome_b_3956231.html

Cheers!  Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment